WELCOME

THE FASHION DADDY WELCOMES YOU!



This fashionable and stylish blog is a collage of creative fresh ideas, filled with educated opinions, packed with flexible suggestions, stuffed with a lot of sense of humor and most of all, it is a place where people who enjoy fashion and style can use it as a resource, a channel to let out their passions or frustrations, a virtual mechanism to influence others with individualism and creativity. Anyone can use this blog to break the monotony of your lives—to have a good laugh or to initiate a thought. And if your life feels monotonous spice it up with a tiara or a new belt or a hat. This blog is not supposed to be the fashion police [never] because who can compete with Joan Rivers. This blog is not a serious literary document; instead, it is a fun registry about what we like to wear, our personal style and a life that’s unique, fun and imaginative. WARNING: This blog is not your average and stereotypical blog, this blog offers honesty, choices, fun ideas and a good time. Criticism is welcomed. Cynicism is encouraged!



3.20.2011

Put Models On Your Cover


Kim is a bonafide cover girl in this month's Harper's Bazaar.
Harper's Bazaar/March 2011.

I received my Harper’s Bazaar magazine a couple of weeks ago and I couldn’t believe my eyes; Kim Kardashian on the cover of one of America’s oldest fashion magazines? Really? Why? I wasn’t surprised but I was a little concerned for the magazine. No more integrity? What would Diana Vreeland say? Not too long ago beautiful fashion models used to grace the cover of the magazine (and almost all of the fashion magazines) but those days are over—in the 90’s celebrities or should I say “celebritarts” began to replace models. Allegedly, it was Anna Wintour who came up with the concept of putting stars on the cover of Vogue. The fad took over. I don’t think it was great idea, since nowadays they’ll put anyone (I’m rolling my eyes) on the cover, thus, Kim Kardashian is now a legitimate cover girl. 

Kim has built an empire based on her curves and personal life.
Allure Magazine/September 2010.

I’m a strong believer that models look and feel ten times better than celebritarts on the cover of a fashion magazine. By this I mean, models have the innate ability and figure to make clothes look superb even when the clothes are restricting, pedestrian and horrifically unaesthetic. Models can make everything look great. I understand magazines need to sell, but do we really need to know more about celebritarts and their superficial, materialistic, immature, pompous, plastic lives? I don’t think so.

Playboy was the launching pad to a cover girl status.
Playboy/December 2007.

Back to Kim Kardashian. Other than her sex tape, her big butt, her supposed romances, her Playboy pictorial, her Keeping Up with the Kardashians show and the half a dozen other spin-offs her show has produced;  what else is she known for? Oh, her spanking new music career. Yes, Kim has a music career now, her single Jam (Turn It Up) is out there. You be the judge. I don’t mean to be rude or cynical but what’s her talent(s)? I think she’s attractive, but I still don’t know what are some of Kim’s contributions to the arts, culture and society. I still don’t know what she does? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Featuring Kim on the cover of Glamour, January 2011.

I hope Anna Wintour and her team of brilliance does not cave in and put someone like Kim on the cover of Vogue. Don’t sell out! I didn’t even bother to read the article in Harper’s. It didn’t look interesting.  The photos by Terry Richardson were good and I don’t know what else to say. I’m concerned celebritarts will begin to take over the fashion industry. If they haven’t already done so. What’s next? Snooki on the cover of Italian Vogue? Or is that a reality? Or, Charlie Sheen’s “goddesses” on the cover of Cosmopolitan? Besides The National Enquirer or Star Magazine I don’t foresee them as fashion cover girls. Can you imagine DJ Pauly D grinning on the cover of GQ? Please tell me it isn’t so. Last year Kim graced the covers of Allure in September, W in November and last January she was on the cover of Glamour; a little disturbing and disappointing. Is Vanity Fair next? Are editors really desperate? Most readers already know that Kim has built a “business empire” based on her curves and her love affairs are no longer a secret, so nothing is new? To offer celebritarts a platform to display their uninteresting and self-indulgent actions is a little unfortunate. Please bring back models or feature celebrities that offer something new, different, and fascinating or at least have interesting funny lives. Call me and I’ll tell you who I think should be on the cover of your magazine. I’m serious.
Two versions of the cover for W in November 2010.
Allegedly Kim didn't like the photos accompanying the article (?).
W/November 2010.
Celebritart [a combination of celebrity and pop-tart] is a clever and imaginative way to refer to any one male or female who has been elevated to a celebrity status by means of intoxication, divorce, tackiness, a bad reality TV show, drugs, stealing jewelry, screaming obscenities on the phone, sexual misconduct, anything or everything an average person could be in legal trouble.


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/2431536/the-fashion-daddy?claim=9b5yhc8jm9p">Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment